Missouri River - 3 blocks
State Capitol and Grounds - 8 block
SD Discovery Center and Aquarium - .5 miles
Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Trail - .5
South Dakota National Guard Museum - .5
SD Cultural Heritage Center - 1 mile NE
Lewis and Clark Site - 2 miles
Pierre Regional Airport - 3 miles NE
Dunes Golf Course - 5 miles NW
Hillsview Golf Course - 5 miles
Triple U Buffalo Ranch - 30 miles NW
The State Capitol
Completed in 1910, the Capitol is stunning with its dramatic murals, stained glass, elaborate tilework and collections of sculpture and art. The Capitol is open 365 days a year from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Governors Drive, Pierre.
Lewis and Clark Family Center
Feel the difference between elk and buffalo hides. Learn to identify the tracks of native animals. See a dug-out canoe of the kind used on Lewis and Clark’s historic expedition. The interactive displays of the Lewis and Clark Family Center, located on Farm Island, offer hands-on lessons in U.S. history. Farm Island Recreation Area, 1301 Farm Island Road, Pierre, SD 57501. (605) 773-2885. E-mail:
South Dakota National Guard Museum
Established in 1862 as a frontier militia, the South Dakota National Guard is tightly woven into the state’s history. The South Dakota National Guard Museum in Pierre is the state’s repository for relics, memorabilia and historical documents relating to the Guard’s activities from the late 1800s through recent peacekeeping missions. 301 East Dakota, Pierre, SD 57501. (605) 224-9991.
South Dakota Cultural
The extensive collections of the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center preserve the historical and cultural legacy of the state’s early Sioux inhabitants and the first waves of European settlers. Open year-round, the museum features permanent, rotating and traveling exhibits. Admission is charged; kids under 18 are admitted free. 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501. (605) 773-3458.
South Dakota Discovery Center and Aquarium
Fun, interactive learning is the focus of the South Dakota Discovery Center and Aquarium. More than 60 hands-on exhibits illustrate principles of electricity, magnetism, life sciences, telecommunications and physics. The center’s aquarium features fish species native to the Missouri River. 805 W. Sioux Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501. (605) 224-8295.
Oahe Dam Visitor Center
Offering great views of South Dakota’s largest lake, the Oahe Dam Visitor Center presents a complete history of Lake Oahe and its surroundings. Exhibits describe the exploration, settlement, and natural history of Lake Oahe and the Missouri River, as well as the construction of the Oahe Dam and power plant. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day. Seven miles north of Pierre on South Dakota Highway 1804. (605) 224-5862.
Adjacent to the Visitor Center is the Oahe Chapel. Built in 1877, the chapel was both church and schoolhouse for the Oahe Mission and the Sioux Indians it served. Open daily, with services at 8 a.m. Sundays Memorial Day through Labor Day; open off-season by appointment. (605) 773-3458.
Fort Pierre Chouteau
In the mid-1800s, Fort Pierre Chouteau was the largest trading post on the upper Missouri River, a thriving community of traders, trappers and Native Americans. Today, not much remains of the fort’s wooden bastions and buildings but the site, a National Historic Landmark, interests archaeologists, who hold excavations there each summer.
Named for the first Europeans to visit South Dakota, the Verendrye Museum is located on Deadwood Street in Fort Pierre. The museum houses pioneer relics and a reproduction of the lead tablet brothers Chevalier and Louis la Verendrye buried in a bluff above the Missouri River, thereby claiming for France the territory that eventually became the Louisiana Purchase. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day. (605) 223-7761.
Pierre Aquatic Center
"Two great facilities under one roof!"
Water Spray Toys
8 Lane / 25 Yard Swimming Pool
Lockers & Showers
Open to the public - Visitors Welcome!
900 E. Church Street, Pierre SD 57501
Content for this page from the Pierre Chamber of Commerce.